Saturday, February 28, 2009

Contentment and patience

I had coffee with an old saint the other day. John had served as a missionary for over 20 years and now speaks internationally teaching pastors and churches how to reach people for Christ in their country and in neighboring countries. I was telling him how I was currently teaching math, but that it wasn't my passion.

He gave me lots of good stuff to chew on, but probably the most meaningful thing he said was, "If you can't be content anywhere, then you can't be content anywhere." It took me a few seconds to really understand what he meant, but then the light bulb went on. If I don't learn to be content with where God has me right at this moment, then I will not be content wherever I may go in the future. But if I am content in the Lord regardless of my circumstances, then I will be content wherever I may go.

The apostle Paul, writing from a Roman prison, had this to say: "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation...." (Philippians 4:10-12). If Paul could be content in prison, surely I can be content where I'm at.

1 comments:

mimi hogaboam,  March 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM  

ain't that the truth brother!

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP