Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Stay awake

There have been a number of thefts on my street and neighborhood in the past month or so. Sometime in the night, a person or group steals tires off of cars left in driveways. The only evidence left behind is the car sitting with its rotors on bricks ("borrowed" from another unsuspecting neighbor.)

Although this has never happened to me, it makes me absolutely sick. I feel violated and angry for my neighbors. What kind of lowlifes would do such a thing! I have often thought that I'd love to catch them in the act. But who knows where they'll strike or when? I'd have to stay up all night every night to even have a chance.

Having been pondering all that, I read this passage of Scripture this morning:

But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into. You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. —Luke 12:39-40
More important than being alert for thieves, is to be alert for the return of Jesus. More important that being prepared for a thief is being prepared for the second coming of Christ. My desire to be in a right frame of mind in the Lord should far outweigh my desire to catch a bad guy.

No one knows when Christ will return. It could be next week, next year or next century. But we need to be ready. We must stay awake. We have to "stay dressed for action and keep (our) lamps burning" (Luke 12:35). We don't want to be caught off guard or found sleeping when Christ returns. We must watch our lives and be diligent doing the Father's work. What a joy to know that He is coming back for us, and what a privilege and responsibility to let the world how they can be ready to meet Him.

0 comments:

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP