Sunday, October 19, 2008

If your student asks for a fish...

A few days ago, I was rushing through my 30-minute lunch at school. I had been working into my lunch period trying to prepare my room for the PSAT test I was giving my students. I only had a few minutes to myself to eat my meal: leftover tilapia and rice. I just wanted to eat my lunch in peace and not be bothered.

Not long after I sat down for my meal, one of my students walked into the classroom, where I was trying to "hide."

"Hi, Mr. Andrews, what are you eating?" she asked.

"It's tilapia," I responded, not wanting to engage her.

"I've never heard of that. What is it?"

"It's a kind of fish."

"Oh, I've only had catfish." I thought she would lose interest at this point, but then she continued. "Can I have some of it?" Quite honestly, I was taken completely off guard. You're kidding me, right? I was thinking to myself. I was blown away by her boldness, but also the innocence with which she asked me. She obviously thought nothing unusual about her request, but fully expected me to give her some of my lunch. Speechlessly, I broke off a piece of fish and gave it to her. She seemed to enjoy it.

Reflecting on this incident, I remembered Jesus' parable about the man who boldly went to his friend at midnight asking for bread. I also thought about His words after that:

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?...If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!
It was a reminder to me to persistently ask the Lord for a fresh filling of His Spirit. He will satisfy my hunger.

0 comments:

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP