Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Climbing higher

I just got back from rock wall climbing with my two oldest kids at the gym where we just became members. Usually when Amy and I go to the gym with the kids, all six of us go into the pool. Today was the first time climbing.

Rock wall climbing is a lot harder than it looks—especially if you're doing it wrong, like I was. Apparently, you have to keep your hips close to the wall and let your legs, not your arms, do most of the work. Despite my poor form, I made it up to the top of a section of the wall that was medium difficulty. It was a glorious feeling to be 400 ft. up in the air dangling by a rope. OK, maybe it was more like 40 ft., but I'm telling you the air was really thin up there.

When I got down, I saw my 5-year-old son, Morsel, on his way up another section of the wall. He got about 1/3 of the way up, when he looked at me and said that that was as far as he was going to go. I looked at him and said, "No, Son, keep going up. You can do it." He was a little hesitant at first, but he started to make his way up the wall. Soon he was taking more confidant strides. When he would get stuck, I gave him suggestions on where to put his foot, where to reach, etc. I knew he could make it to the top, but I didn't know if he would go all the way.

He was almost to the top of the wall, when it looked as if he might go no further. I kept urging him on: "You can do it, Son. You're doing great! You're almost there!" I was so proud of him when he finally grabbed the top of the wall. I think I was more excited than he was.

Every young man needs an older man who will not let him give up after only climbing 1/3 the way up his wall. Every young man needs an older man who declares his belief in him, pushes him forward, cheers him on, and celebrates his victory. Older men, do you have a younger man that you are encouraging to go farther than he believes he can go? Younger men, have you found someone who can speak into your life and push you out of your comfort zone, so that you don't stop short of your potential?

If not, let's commit to seeking those out so that we can walk in the fullness of who we are in Christ.

1 comments:

Pamela October 29, 2008 at 12:06 AM  

Brian, I do wish you could have seen Kurtis' face as I read "400 feet" (and paused before reading on)...he was completely baffled!! Gave me a good laugh for a change, he usually enjoys the laughs at my airy moments. Sounds like a fun place! Good job Morsel, and great job being his dad! Maybe we can get a guest pass to your gym when we visit in December. :)

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP