Thursday, March 27, 2008

Theft, violation and bitterness

I'm not happy.

Today, I went to a department meeting. A sub was handling my class during the meeting. While I was away, a student or students stole my timer, three of my graphing calculators and possibly my car and house keys. (I haven't been able to find the keys, and I don't think that I simply misplaced them.)

To top it off, not having my keys made me over an hour late for a review session I had to go to for my teacher credential program.

The feeling of violation is what I hate the most. I'm also not sure what the best response is. I don't want to be mired in bitterness. This really made my heart cold toward my students. It's hard to separate out the good from the bad, the innocent from the guilty. I don't like that. I don't like not knowing who's responsible. I can fully understand David's and the other psalmists' pleas to God to take vengeance on their enemies.

"Help, Lord!"

3 comments:

jnap March 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

I am sorry you are the victim of theft. I have twice had my home broken into, and understand the sense of violation. After the first break in, my then husband wanted to keep a loaded gun in the house. I said I would not let a criminal run my life, nor would I develop a fortress mentality about my house.

The second break in, some 17 years later, in a different house, freaked me out as much as the first. But, I refused to be bitter about my (unknown) assailants, I refuse to live with a fortress mentality: Working in a prison, my level of awareness and caution is higher, but I have to believe in humanity, and the opportunity to influence people to change for the better...(That is my life's work.)

Let the Lord take vengence, if you will. This is a learning opportunity for you and your students: When I was in school, many of our reading assignments had "lessons" about life: ethics, right vs. wrong, diligence, loyalty, honesty, etc.. Is there a learning lesson from this?

Vengence is the Lord's, not ours...When you take matters into your own hands, and seek vengence, you become as your assailant. When you seek due process you seek justice...

Rick Hogaboam April 15, 2008 at 2:01 PM  

Sorry to hear about this Brian. We are called to endure hardship and suffering and to rejoice in it. I am not trying to be glib or uncaring...but my words to you are to rejoice in your suffering. It will shock the thieves to see such a disposition.

Brian April 15, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

Things have gotten somewhat better....Or maybe I should say my outlook has changed. I know why I'm here, even though I resist it. I'm called to be a father figure to some of these kids. It's a spiritual battle.

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP