Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring Break!...and a new perspective.

Spring Break officially began for me 3:10 p.m. yesterday. I'm so excited to have a week off to (partially) recuperate. Amy's excited to have a couple extra hands to help with our growing tribe.

We visited a home group at our church for the first time this past Wednesday night. I asked them to pray for me for my teaching situation. I basically said, "Please pray for me; I hate my job." I think their prayers, plus the prayers of many others—like you, are starting to have an effect. I'm getting some new perspective on my teaching job.

Last night as I was walking outside with our newborn, I was reminded of how many of my students are fatherless in some way. "Daisy's" father left home when she was only five. She told me he had been planning on being a pastor. He owes thousands of dollars in child support. "And to top it off," she told me, "he forgot my birthday. I guess that's why I carry so much anger inside."

A couple of days ago, I found out that the mother of another one of my students is terminally ill. Apparently, she could go at any time. The student's uncle told me that the father is not in the picture at all. Is it any wonder this student has some behavioral issues?

I've been feeling convicted that I need to more intentionally reach out to my students—especially the boys. I can't keep bemoaning the situation and complaining about what is, when I, by the power of the Holy Spirit, can have an impact in some students' lives.

We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

jnap March 15, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

I loved "Happy Pi Day 3.14" It was really fun!

I am sorry you are struggling with teaching. We spend so much of our life at work, it is important to do something we enjoy. Having said that, I have a job I enjoy, but am struggling with some of the political and personnel issues at work. I have worked in other settings, and know that no job is perfect.

So, is it teaching you do not enjoy, or the baggage that goes along with being a teacher: I suspect you have the capacity to open minds and provide new information and ideas to the children you teach... If you are enthusiastic about what you teach, they will catch your enthusiasm and your students will enjoy learning more, too....

And, the ones with personal issues will probably feel like they can trust you more. Because, afterall, being told that learning is important from someone who does not seem to believe in what he says is just another adult letting them down...

Brian March 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

Jnap,

It's the behavior issues that get to me the most. But that goes with the territory, I guess. I can either complain about the situation, or try to be a part of the solution.

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP