Sunday, March 9, 2008

Soul update

We survived daylight savings time, and were up and ready for the 9:00 a.m. church service. The pastor spoke on why there is suffering in the world. When I really stop and think about what others go through, I have nothing to complain about. I am blessed in so many ways, not the least of which is my family. Nevertheless, a few things have been weighing on me.

Teaching has been very difficult. There have been days I have wanted to quit. I feel overwhelmed much of the time. Behavior issues of some of my students cause me a great deal of stress and frustration. Sometimes I have absolutely no idea how to handle a particular situation. But I press on because I know God has me here for a reason, and the leading was so clear.

I have also dealt with loneliness quite a bit lately. I'm used to having a group of men that I hang out with regularly for fellowship. I have not found such a group yet. My soul is aching for quality time with Christian brothers. I know the Lord has something out there for me, but waiting on it to materialize is tough. This is my biggest prayer request at the moment.

Not being involved in ministry is tough. At times I feel my life lacks direction and purpose. Every once in a while, I have an interaction with a student where I feel I've really made a connection and can see fruit. Those times don't occur frequently enough for me.

Gotta go. I'm still missing that hour of sleep.

5 comments:

theolsons March 10, 2008 at 9:13 AM  

LOVE the picture of Aim and the kids! and as your sister just want to say I love you Brian and am praying for all of you each day. I think of you and your students often and pray God gives you wisdom to handle each situation. I will pray for some relationships with other brothers in Christ to begin to develop and give you support and encouragement. thanks for your transparency.

Jim n Steff,  March 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

Hi Brian LOVE THAT PICTURE!!Sure makes us miss you all the more.We may not be there but you are not alone. We pray for you and will continue to do so.What you are experiencing reminds me of the Israelites in the desert.Their faith was tested but God was always with them.He is also with you right now.His purpose for you will be revealed,maybe when you least expect it.One thing is certain,you are always doing the Lord's work even if it isn't directly in the role of a pastor.For that you and all you touch will be eternally rewarded.Keep planting those seeds!!!You're a hero in the eyes of many and the fellowship you need will come.Give Amy and the kids a big hug for us !Love Jim n Steff

Isabelle,  March 10, 2008 at 4:47 PM  

Hi H-
Your brother is so cute! How are you doing? What's your new baby brother like? Bye!

jnap March 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

Oh, Brian,

You reach the Walls of teaching that I reach the Walls of social work in a prison....It is easy to think we have no impact, nor influence, but we never know when and where we plant a seed that may help someone down the road. I never know what I am going to face when I walk into a counseling session with a client. I am convinced it is the voice of God that tells me what to say and do to help the men, in the psychiatric prison in which I work daily...

My wish is that before these men get to prison, someone is there to give them words of faith and wisdom that help them to understand that they do not have to commit crimes to fulfill there lives. I suspect that you have that opportunity. They need role models that reflect their self image to understand that they are people of worth and value and that they do not need to violate laws to have a sense of self...

Please, please, continue to teach with Christian and human values and ethics.

thefieldhouses March 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

Greetings from Cali! Brian this is Mark. On discipline... I did this book report on this book called teaching with love and logic. Very practical and I thought would be very effective in the classroom. check out this link from Amazon on reviews of the book. http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0944634486/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP