Sunday, January 20, 2008

We found a church!

Church-hopping stinks.

We've visited about seven different churches since we've been here. For the most part, they have been either too far away (50 minute drive) or haven't been a good fit.

I was at a really low point a few weeks ago. It was about 6:50 a.m. and I was on my way to the school where I teach. I had been having a rough week, and I was really feeling the pain of not having a body of believers with whom to fellowship. "God, why is there no place for us?"

The next Sunday, we tried the last church on our list of churches to try. It wasn't for us. Amy and I were so discouraged after that. We didn't know what to do. That night we talked about our situation. We realized that to a large degree, we were still not committed to being here in Dallas. We wanted to think that this was only a temporary thing. We had even toyed with the idea of settling for a church that was an hour away because "we're not going to be here long anyway." But that night, God showed us that we really needed to embrace being here. We committed to "diving in" to life here, even though we don't know what the future holds. We prayed and asked God to give us a church close by where we could really get plugged in. We were no longer content to just "sneak in at the beginning of the service, and run out at the end."

Right after we prayed, I did a Google search on churches near us. Buried in one of the lists was Grace Community Church. The name immediately struck me. We looked through the website and saw that there were a number of similarities between GCC and our previous church. It's fairly close to where we live now, and is quite close to where we are thinking about moving.

We visited last Sunday for the first time. They were celebrating their 20th anniversary as a church that day. We were warmly greeted by a number of people, and shown where the kids' classes were. Burrito went to her Sunday School class, but Morsel stayed with us. (Sausage stayed with us, as well, because he was too sick to go to the nursery.)

When we walked into the sanctuary, it felt like home quickly. I cried through most of the worship set. The sermon was about Joshua and was particularly meaningful to me. They had a lunch afterward, so we stayed and met more people.

Today, I took the three oldest to GCC, while Amy stayed home with the newborn. All three went to Sunday School or nursery today—even Morsel, who has never gone to Sunday School by himself since we left Rochester. I was glad that all seemed to have a good time. I look forward to what God will do in our family through this church.

0 comments:

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP