Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Lion, the Burrito and the Morsel

Last Christmas, I started reading The Chronicles of Narnia books and couldn't put them down. I read through the whole series in a couple of months. I love how clearly the character of Christ is portrayed in Aslan the Lion.

A few months ago, I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to my 7-year-old daughter, "Burrito," and my 5-year-old son, "Morsel." They both liked it so much that they wanted me to keep reading books in the series. We read The Magician's Nephew, The Horse and His Boy, and yesterday we finished Prince Caspian.

Sometimes the plot and difficult words make things a little hard for them to understand, but we talk about what's going on, and they stay pretty engaged. I find it not only a good way to increase their vocabulary, but there are many spiritual lessons that come up.

For example, in Prince Caspian, Lucy, who is a main character, meets Aslan again after not having seen Him for quite a while. "Aslan," Lucy remarks, "you've gotten bigger since the last time I saw you." "That's because you have gotten older," Aslan replies. I asked Burrito what she thought Aslan meant by that. "Daddy, it's like when we get older and know more about Jesus, He seems bigger to us." It's really cool when they "get it." I would highly recommend the Narnia books for personal and family reading.

0 comments:

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP