Thursday, December 13, 2007

"How 'bout them Cowboys?"

We went to a Christmas special at my in-laws' church this past Sunday night. After the program, I headed to the little boys' room. I had just chosen an appropriate location, when a man parked right next to me. He looked at me with a huge grin, deep voice, rich accent, and said, "How 'bout them Cowboys!"

In an instant several thoughts went through my mind:

1. Can't a guy pee without being accosted by a sports fan?
2. Was this a generic Texas bathroom greeting?
3. (As this is a "family" show, we'll skip #3.)
4. Judging by the vast number of other Cowboy fans in the bathroom, if I don't respond to this guy in an appropriate manner I might be the victim of a terrible tongue-lashing.

So I looked the guy in the eyes, raised my eyebrows, nodded slowly, smiled knowingly, and spoke nothing to him. Instead I gave him a look that said: "What the Cowboys did was so amazingly magnificent and awe-inspiring that it is not necessary to talk about it, but only to savor its richness and to silently bask in the glory thereof."

In reality I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. And I didn't find out until a few days later.

So if you will excuse me, I need to go and read the sports section. I might have to use a public restroom today, and I am not going in unarmed.

1 comments:

jnap December 21, 2007 at 6:38 AM  

Brain,

My friend Steff (Rochester) directed me to your blog. All you have to say is "Yeah, how 'bout them 'Boys?"

J
(Millers Falls, Massachusetts to Lubbock,Texas; Yankee, Red Sox, Lady Raider, NASCAR, Patriot fan, NOT a Cowboy fan)

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP