Sunday, December 16, 2007

Divine appointment pt. 4

On Friday, I had an appointment with the district math coordinator. She was going to tell me about a long-term subbing job that was coming up. The assistant superintendent (A.S.) had previously offered me a full-time position at an Early College high school that was to start in Fall 2008. The A.S. wanted to get me working as soon as possible, so he was going to try and get me into a long-term subbing position until they could hire me as a regular teacher.

I went to the district office early on Friday to finish my sub paperwork and get my district I.D. so I could begin subbing. I had some time before my appointment with the math coordinator, so I sat in the district lobby area to do some reading. It was 9:10 a.m. At 9:20 a.m., the automated sub system called me to offer me a one-day assignment for that day. I turned it down because I already had the appointment scheduled for 10:00 a.m. At 9:35 a.m., the principal of the 9th Grade Center called.

"Hi, Mr. Andrews. I'd like to meet with you today to talk about an Algebra 1 teaching position at my school."

"Oh, is this the position that the district is going to tell me about?" I asked.

"No," she replied, "this position just opened up 10 minutes ago."

I couldn't believe it. She could probably tell that I was surprised, so she asked me if I knew a man named Bob. I told her that Bob was the man that I met at Panera Bread a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, Bob had told her about me. "He must be prophetic," she said, "because when he told me about you, I didn't have any teaching positions open. Now this comes up." I told her that I would meet with her that afternoon and let her know what the math coordinator said.

The math coordinator told me about the long-term sub assignment, and I told her what the principal said. The math coordinator said she would contact the A.S. and that we could probably figure something out.

After this, I went to Panera Bread to work on my application for the teacher credential program. While there, I overheard two men sitting across from me talking about church. I and one of the men exchanged a few words, and then they left. I didn't think anything of it.

Later that afternoon, I went to meet with the principal. When I got to the school's main office, there was the man I encountered at Panera Bread! We greeted each other, and the principal said, "Oh, do you two know each other?" Crazy. He and I exchanged contact information. It turns out he's the pastor of a church nearby.

From talking with the principal, I discovered that she is a strong believer. She told me about the position, and I met some of the other teachers and staff. She and I both saw God's hand at work in all this, and were able to encourage each other. Tomorrow at 2:30 p.m., I meet with the A.S. again to talk about this position.

Jesus has been very faithful. His grace is truly amazing.

0 comments:

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP