Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Becoming a teacher

I started a long-term Substitute Teacher position today. This is the position that opened up in God's perfect timing on Friday. I will be teaching five Algebra classes and one pre-Algebra class. Today was a lighter day since the whole school was undergoing state-wide testing. I'll be working with a regular teacher for a couple of months, basically following her around. I didn't do any teaching today, but I did help a few students with an assignment.

One student's father came and sat in on a class today. I was very happy to see him there, demonstrating his involvement in his child's life. Toward the end of the class, I introduced myself to him. "We need more Black, male teachers," he told me. "I'm glad you're here." "We need more involved fathers," I responded. "I'm glad you're here. Keep doing what you're doing."

I have also applied to an alternate certification program that, once I get accepted, will allow me to serve as a regular full-time teacher under contract. Tomorrow, I take a pre-test which is one of the last prerequisites I need to be accepted in the program. I'm applying to be certified to teach Math, Physical Science and Engineering. The school district and the certifying agency have both been very helpful in trying to get me in the certification program as soon as possible. Pray that things go smoothly and quickly.

0 comments:

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP