Monday, November 26, 2007

God's work

Whatever you do, work heartily as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
—Colossians 3:23

Since before arriving in Dallas, I've been looking for a job. I've sent applications out all over the U.S. to a variety of companies and organizations. Everything from NASA, to Verizon Wireless to various community colleges to the Transportation Security Administration ("Please remove your shoes and any metal articles and walk slowly through the gate.") We know that we want to be involved in ministry full-time at some point, but for now the focus is my finding a job to support my family.

There's no command in Scripture that tells you what job to do. The only command is related to how you should do that job: "heartily as for the Lord and not for men." This is a good reminder for me as I seek a job and realize that at least in the short term, it may not be something I would naturally enjoy. Whatever I do, I must put my heart into it. I don't have the luxury of being lax. I don't have the freedom to cut corners. I'm not justified in having a bad attitude. Why? Because it's for the Lord. Whatever job I have must be done "to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). How is God glorified if I'm constantly moaning and complaining about my job?

When I read the Scripture above recently, I was struck by the fact that it says to work "for the Lord and not for men." I would have expected it to say that we should work "for the Lord as well as for men." To me, this says that every job is sacred. All work is God's work. When you work, you really are "serving the Lord Christ."

So pray for me that I find a job I would enjoy. But more importantly, pray that whether I'm laying bricks, arguing a case before a judge, building a spacecraft, teaching a child or making a Happy Meal®, that I do it in such a way that Jesus Christ is glorified.

0 comments:

©2007-2009 Brian Andrews

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP